Monday, August 17, 2009

Simplicity and Clarity: Life Lessons from My Cat

In his last life my cat was- without a doubt- a yoga instructor. How else could he have mastered this art of body contortion?

My cat, mind you, can pose frozen in the most outrageous ways. Like a Zen master, he can sit curled up with his paws, including the back ones, under his chin- in such unlikely places as a kitchen cupboard! I guess he understands the value of isolation- of removing oneself from the busyness of the world... just to be... to become One with the Universe. He chooses wisely and spends his time on what matters!

He has also mastered the fine art of breathing. Kundalini himself could have instructed the cat in taking one inward breath and having it last for hours. That's what seems to happen, at least when the cat is in purr mode. Deep vibrations of breath transform him and carry him into a world of utter bliss. Prrrrrr. Prrrrrr. Prrrrrr. The rhythm of it is soothing to the soul.

Yet, should duty call, he can snap out of bliss in an instant... say to stomp on a bug that passes by! What alertness, though well disguised, this takes! Oh cat, what wonders you bring into my life! You know both the art of contortion and the methods for ultimate relaxation!

So what have I learned from the masterful one that pads around my house? Here are seven life lessons learned from my cat:

1) There is always time for relaxing.
It doesn't matter whether you face the sunshine of life or the darkness of a closet. Give in, breathe deeply. Just be.

2) Take time to savor the simple things.
Enjoy your food with gusto- savor every bite- put your whole being into Oneness with the contents of your dish. In that way you achieve true nourishment of body and soul.

3) Do your own thing without fanfare, with calm assuredness and grace.
It takes a cat to demonstrate how to share life with others, but silently go about one's own thing.

4) Love fully the one you are with.
Eyes of adoration from human lovers can't begin to match the glazed, fixed stares that my cat showers on me whenever he chooses. Love- pure and simple love- without condition. Emulate this.

5) The ultimate knowledge is held within.
The cat surely knows the secrets of the Universe, but has the inner strength, the fortitude, to keep those ideals to himself. What self control! What discipline!

6) When you walk, tread lightly on the earth, and hold your head high.
With each step my cat does a number that is part graceful dance, part stately march. The footwork is fantastic with all four paws in keen rhythm. He carries his head as if to support an invisible crown. He knows all that happens and yet he steps gently.

7) Approach each moment with simplicity so your spirit is renewed.
An uncluttered life allows for true living. An uncluttered mind reaches clarity quickest. Let go of all that clutters. Then inspiration can float in and answer your deepest questions.

Oh my cat, oh Zen master, how I strive to be like you. Teach me oh ancient one. Grant me, as I quietly contemplate your virtues the inclination to be more like you.

Ah cat! My cat! OM. OM. Meow! Meow!


1 comment:

  1. Wow. Inspirations from a cat.
    That's really cool.

    keep posting these things. Makes me think 'bout my own life.

    And thanks for the post, hope your cat keep being a zen master.

    ReplyDelete